The first stone building dates from around 1150, replacing
a wooden one. The land and the church were given to the monks
of Sawley Abbey by Maude de Percy in the 12th century after
a dispute. The church was burnt down by the Scots 1318 when
they ravaged the north of England. It was rebuilt about between
1380 and 1480. It was however, subject to frequent flooding,
so that between 1875 and 1877 it was taken down stone by
stone and rebuilt with the foundations raised by 5 feet;
only the tower was left as it was.
The money to pay for this work, £8426.4s.6½d, was raised
by public subscription. In 1897 a new north aisle was built. The church
has fine carvings by Frank Thorman and a famous William Morris east window.